Electronic Document Imaging Systems Guidelines: Appendix 1
Appendix I. Applicable Industry Standards
Image File Standards
ANSI/AIIM MS53-1993 - Standard Recommended Practice, File
Format for Storage and Exchange of Images; Bi-Level Image File Format: Part I. This
standard addresses bi-level electronic images that are coded using CCITT Recommendations
T.4 and T.6 (Group 3 and 4) as well as bit-mapped images (having no compression). MS53
will put into one standard a self-contained file format for bi-level image file transfer
environments other than facsimile. Approved in March 1993 to replace TIFF bi-level format
for applications that require file transfer across different platforms. Part 2 and Part 3
are undergoing development for continuous tone and color images.
I/O Interface Standards
- ANSI X3.131-1986 - American National Standard for information systems, Small Computer Systems Interface (SCSI).
Digital Image Display and Output Standards/Guidelines
- AIIM/TR19-1993 - Electronic Imaging Output/Display Devices.
- AIIM/TR29-1993 - Electronic Imaging Output/Printers.
- CBEMA/X3W1 - Image Printer Specifications.
Legal Admissibility Standards
- AIIM/TR31-1992 - Part 1: Performance Guidelines for
Admissibility of Records Produced by Information Technology Systems as Evidence.
- AIIM/TR31-1993 - Part 2: Performance Guidelines for the
Legal Acceptance of Records Produced by Information Technology Systems for Regulatory
Optical Character Recognition Standards/Guidelines
- ISO 1073/1-1976 - Alphanumeric Character Sets for Optical Recognition, Part I: "Character Set of OCR-A- Shapes and Dimensions of the Printed Image."
- ISO 1073/2-1976 - Alphanumeric Character Sets for Optical Recognition, Part II: "Character Set OCR-B- Shapes and Dimensions of the Printed Image."
- FIPS PUB 32-1 - Character Sets for Optical Character Recognition, Adopted 13 September, 1989. Incorporates OCR-A and OCR-B. Adopts ANSI X3.2-1970 (R1976), ANSI X3.49-1975 (R1982).
- ANSI X3.93M-1981(R1989) - Optical Character Recognition Positioning.
- ANSI X3.99-1983 (R1991) - Guideline for Optical Character Recognition Print Quality.
Compact Disc Standards and Industry Guides
- ISO/IEC 9660, 1988 - Information Processing - 120 mm
(4.75-inch) Volumeand File Structure of CD-ROM for Information Interchange.
- Red Book - A CD-ROM Color Book Drive Standard for audio
compact disc (CD Audio) drives.
- Yellow Book - A CD-ROM Color Book Drive Standard for
compact disc read only memory (CD-ROM) drives. This standard also applies to the CD-ROM XA
compatible drives used to read Kodak's Photo CD media.
- Green Book - A CD-ROM Color Book Drive Standard for compact
disc interactive (CD-I) drives.
- Orange Book - A developing CD-ROM Color Book Drive Standard
for magneto-optical (MO) and recordable (CD-R) drives. This book defines a CD-ROM/MO
hybrid device, and includes single-session and multi-session CD-R.
- AIIM/TR17-1989 - Facsimile and Its Role in Electronic Imaging.
- ANSI/EIA 527-1986 - Screen Definition for Color Picture Tubes.
- ANSI/HFS 100-1988 - American National Standard for Human Factors Engineering of Visual Display Terminal Work Stations.
- ANSI/ISO 5807-1985 - Information Processing--Documentation Symbols and Conventions for Date, Program and System Flowcharts, Program Network Charts, and System Resource Charts.
- ANSI X3/TR-7-89 - Information Processing Systems Technical Support-- User Documentation for Consumer Software Packages.
- MIL-STD-28000, MIL-M-28001, MIL-R-28002 - Department of Defense standards in wide use in the CALS engineering data systems (DSREDS/EDCARS/EDMICS)
Draft/Emerging Standards and Projects
The following proposed standards and projects are under development, and are provided here for informational purposes only:
- AIIM/TR31- Part 4: Model Rule and Model Law (Draft document under review).
- ANSI/AIIM MS50 - Proposed standard: Recommended Practice for Monitoring Image Quality of Aperture Card Film Image Scanners.
- AIIM Project 99 - Projects (in production) for: Electronic/Digital Test Targets (Part 1: The Target; Part 2: Description and Use).
- AIIM/MS55 -Proposed standard (in production): Identification and Indexing of Page Components (Zones) for Automated Processing in an ELM Environment.
- AIIM/MR - Technical Report (TO) on Indexing Considerations For An ELM System (draft report currently under revision by AIIM standards committee).
- ISO/IEC DIS 13481 - Data interchange on 130 mm optical disk cartridges - Capacity: 1 gigabyte per cartridge.
- ISO CD 13403 - Proposed draft standard under development for Information Interchange on 300 mm Optical Disk Cartridges of the Write Once, Read Multiple (WORM) using the Continuous Composite Servo (CCS) Method. A different proposed draft standard also under development is for the Sampled Servo (SS) method.
- ISO (JTC1/SC24/WG7) DIS 12087-3 (IIF) Image Interchange Facility. The IIF is part of the first international Image Processing and Interchange
Standard (IPI). It comprises both a data format definition and a gateway functional specification. A data format definition is proposed for exchanging arbitrarily structured
image data which can be used across application boundaries. There are also definitions of parsers, generators, and format converters to enhance open image communication. Part 2 of
the IPI standard is the Imaging Kernel System (PIKS) and is located in the IIF Gateway which controls the import/export of image data to/from applications as well as the PIKS.
The IIF may serve as a future image content architecture of the Open Document Architecture (ODA).
- ISO/IEC DIS 13346 (ECMA 167) - Information technology - Volume and File Structure of Write-Once and Rewritable Media using Non-Sequential Recording for information Interchange.
- ISO DIS 13490 (ECMA 168) - (Also known as the "Frankfort Specification") Draft
- International Standard and Draft ECMA Standard for read only and write once compact disc media which promises equal enrichment for Unix, MacIntosh, OS/2, and Windows NT. Frankfort also supports the incremental update capability
that is lacking in ISO 9660. ECMA 168 will conform to the Orange Book Specification.
- CGATS 3.9-199X - Proposed Specification for the Calibration and Use of a Color Monitor for Comparison to Hard Copy for Color Proofing of Graphics Arts Images.
- ANSI/AIIM MS60 - Proposed standard (in production): Electronic Folder Interchange Datastream.
- dpANS X3.131-199X - Draft proposed American National Standard for Information Systems, Small Computer Systems Interface - 2 (SCSI-2).
- ISO DIS 9316-1 - Draft International Standard, Small Computer Systems Interface - 2 (SCSI-2).
- ANSI/NISO Z39.72-199X - Proposed American National Standard for CD-ROM Mastering.
- AIIM/MS57- Proposed standard (in production): CD-ROM Application Profile for EIM.
- ANSI/AIIM MS59-199X - Proposed ANSI Standard for Information Systems - Use of Media Error Monitoring and Reporting Techniques for Verification of the Information Stored on Optical Digital Data Disks. << BACK MORE >>
Home | Contact the Office | Privacy Statement | Georgia.Gov | Search
© 2007 Georgia Secretary of State
5800 Jonesboro Road
Morrow, GA 30260