Actions Taken by the Georgia Board of Nursing at its May 12-13 Meeting
Macon, Ga.—The Georgia Board of Nursing met on Wednesday and Thursday, May 12-13, 2010.
The Board moved that based upon review and documentation of compliance with rules relating to annual reports, the most recent site visit report and responses to recommendations, and overall passing percentage of at least 80 percent (383/439, 87.2 percent) of all first-time a NCLEX-RN writers over the last four years (2006-2009), full approval is extended through December 31, 2014 to North Georgia College and State University. [410-3-.02 (2) (a)] Unless another reason presents itself, the next site visit will be scheduled for the 2013-2014 academic year. [410-3-.01 (8)]
The Board moved that based upon compliance with Rules 410-4-.01 (4) (5) through (6), initial approval is granted to Augusta Technical College for the enrollment of its first cohort of at least 20 students in nursing courses in the prelicensure BSN Program in the Fall semester 2010. [410-3-.02 (1)(b)]
The Board approved Darton College’s offering of the healthcare professional bridge for qualified licensed practical nurses, paramedics and 68W M6 Army medics beginning in the Fall semester 2010, [410-3-.07 (2);410-3-.11 (12)] and the offering of the online traditional hybrid track for qualified students beginning in the Spring semester 2011. [410-3-.07 (2); 410-3-.11 (2)]
The Board moved based upon Report I submitted by Bauder College, that responses for the following recommendations must be submitted in writing to the Board office no later June 9, 2010 for review at the Board’s July 14-15, 2010 meeting:
- Provide a written plan for the professional development of faculty members in the planning; implementation and evaluation of associate degree nursing education. [410-3-.05 (8)]
- Provide the rationale for a 169 quarter credit hour associate degree nursing program in terms of a stopping point for the practical nurse student, licensure of the practical nurse graduate, and the development of the program only for LPNs. [410-3-.04]
- Clarify the designation of the Bauder College Nursing unit. [410-3-.03 (1)]
- Revise the philosophy and organizing framework to be consistent with the purpose of the associate degree nursing program. The written plan for the organization and development of the curriculum (organizing framework) should be described in terms of the logical sequence, connection, and placement between nursing and non-nursing courses. [410-3-.04 (2)]
- Provide a written update of all confirmed clinical agency affiliations.
The Board accepted the following consent orders/agreements:
- Margarita Rodriguez, Conyers: Concurrent with criminal probation for conviction of theft by taking
- Margaret Bishop, Savannah: Four years based on previous history with board and results of evaluation
- Tina Lackey, Woodland: Four years based on conviction of attempt to obtain dangerous drugs by fraud and chemical dependence
- Jacqueline Patnode, Nebo, NC: Four years based drug conviction and substance abuse in remission
The Board accepted the following public reprimand:
- Kirby Dampier, Hampton: Fined $500 for two year delay in paying fine for unlicensed practice
The Georgia Board of Nursing will hold its next meeting July 14-16, 2010 at the Professional Licensing Boards Division in Macon.